Share

Brazil's education scenario


"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
(Nelson Mandela)

According to the "Pesquisa Nacional por Amostra de Domicílios (PNAD)" - an official census research - carried out by the Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística - IBGE, one quarter of the Brazilian population is at school age.

Below are some statistics based on the people who are out of school:

  • 18.31% are children between the age of 4 and 5;
  • 3.3% are children between 6 and 14;
  • 16.7% are teens between the age of 15 and 17.

According to the IBGE, 9.6% of children from age 15 and above are illiterate. There is also what we call in Brazil: functional illiterate, people who are able to read and write but do not have the minimum skills required to develop either personally nor professionally. This group represents 27% of the total population. The remaining 73% of the population represent the different levels of education. Only one in every four Brazilians has a good level of reading, writing and math. 

Source: Indicador de Alfabetismo Funcional - INAF.

Click here for full details of the INAF 2011/12 report, in portuguese.

In order to get the full insight of the Brazilian education system and the current facts, please go to Anúario Brasileiro da Eduacação Básica, in portuguese.


START HELPING needy students in Brazil right NOW! Click the following button:



Brazils Illiterates